The Speech Guy

Tech Savvy Speech Therapy

Emotions Emotions Everywhere! Part 1

If you are a parent or professional that interacts with someone with Autism on a daily basis I am sure you are very well aware of the fact that most children with Autism are almost completely oblivious to the great variety of emotions that people have. Most of my clients can identify the basic ‘happy’ and ‘sad’ pictures but do they really understand what these emotions mean or have they just been drilled to death with happy and sad faces on their daily school report card, visual schedules, etc…?

So let’s take a look at a few apps that can help children learn to identify and express emotions. The first one is somewhat basic but can be fun it’s called Emotions and Feelings .

With this app you are able to select emotions, draw emotions, and store and label pictures of your own emotions. It comes with six basic stock photo emotions pre loaded that are used as a model for you to base your drawings.

Once you select your emotion you then select if you want to be male or female

The emotions pictures within the app can be somewhat basic and abstract because a few babies are used, so with Custom Boards I created a simple chart of emotions.  I have my clients pick an emotion and then match it by drawing a picture of it.

Emotions Template  <–Here is the pdf  file to download.

Part 2 of this post will feature 4 more apps that  deal with emotions so stay tuned!

Tags:

About

9 Responses

1. Sean Sweeney says

Great suggestion, Jeremy!

2. growingkidstherapy says

Love it and reposted it on my FB page! I like that you can customize it. So many emotion apps have very ambiguous emotions! Thanks for sharing this!

3. Momma Jo says

Will this app ever be available for Andoid users?

• azspeechguy says

Not sure if this will be available for Android, I’ll look into it.

• Fisher says

Neither does mine . only plays on the youtube app that’s loedad on the device but this only shows the video in a tiny pane in the middle of the screen. The Market that comes with this is fake? too You only discover this after having logged in with your real Google password etc danger. Grrr.

4. Rachel S.Smith MT-BC (@RachelSeeSmith) says

Downloading right now! Thanks for the suggestion – looks like a great app. Now, to create a song that goes with it! :)

5. Anonymous says

Hi, like the ideas. I looked in iTunes for the draw emotions app and couldn’t find it, could you put up a link please ? Thanks

• Heberton says

It isn’t a 4G phone first. It is just the iPhone 4.You will be able to transfer your puescahrs onto your computer, and then transfer them over to your new iphone. I recommend calling apple tech support when you get your new phone. Make sure you are at your computer with itunes installed, your cable, and an internet connection.

• azspeechguy says

thanks, I updated the link in the post its by a developer named Joe Scrivens http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/emotions-and-feelings/id504390670?mt=8