The Speech Guy

Tech Savvy Speech Therapy

Augment your Reality: Become Spider-Man

Here is a really cool free augmented reality (AR) app called The Amazing Spider-Man AR available on both the App Store as well as Google Play which is bonus for Android users. I like to Appdapt apps that weren’t specifically made for speech-language therapy (if you want to see more Appdapted Apps visit Speaking of Apps a weekly blog I co-write on apps for Advance Magazine). If you are not familiar with AR apps they make use of your device’s camera and then overlay the graphics over what you are seeing. With this app you become Spider-Man which most of my clients just love (and also maybe that inner geeky slp) and you are able to web-sling webs all over anything you see with your camera.  Here is an example of a messy toy room.  You can have the child name objects they are web-slinging. ” Get the tunnel!” The webs are much clearer when you are playing live and they disappear quickly so it was tough to take a screen shot of them but I think you get the idea.

As a parent or clinician working with your child another use of this app could be during that dreaded clean-up time. This could help add that additional motivation to cleaning up the mess they just made. Have them “web-sling” each item before picking it up and putting it away.

Another use for this could be following directions or concept. First find the big ball and then find the little ball.

How about using some web-slinging to answer ‘wh’ questoins or to identify functions of objects? You’re creative try it out!

What lives in a nest?

You’re right! The owl is a bird and lives in a nest.

About

11 Responses

1. Samuel Sennott says

Awesome post Jeremy! Totally sharing this idea all around!

Just wondering though, should the app link be to: Spider-Man’s Web-slinger, http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spider-mans-web-slinger/id526737700?mt=8 ?

2. Jenna says

AMAZING! haha my kids LOVE spinning webs. Can’t wait to use this one!

Jenna
    SpeechRoomNews.blogspot.com

• velrjxfeq says

1H2Teq zwtphpyzruui

• Victor says

I began using A1 last year when I started hanvig virus issues with my studio desktop. They efficiently eliminated the problem, and did a variety of other things to enhance the productivity of my computer, which I am very grateful to them for. As a result of that I tapped them to build a server for my business network, and website. I have to say I am totally pleased with the servers operation, and with the ease of use for someone that is not an IT tech.Fast forward to today, my ISP made changes on my modem and internet access which caused my website to go down, and my network to become screwy for lack of a better term, to the rescue comes Kaled, and A1 to assist me in getting things back to normal, we spent quite a bit of time rectifying the mess my ISP made of things, and got things returned to normal . I am highly grateful to A1 for the time and care they took to help me out when they really weren’t obligated to.This type of service is what is sorely lacking in businesses today, and I commend Kaled and his team for their commitment to excellent service, and support to their customer. Job Well Done! I highly recommend them for any computer related issues you may encounter, and as a satisfied customer I guarantee you will not be dissapointed.

• Mac says

I had a rather hard time chnooisg just one type of physician I would want to work for. So many of them fascinate me, and with me not really going into any medical field other than support, I never gave this any thought in the past. After reading the list, I am more favorable of working for a neonatologist. It is difficult to think about how neonatologist physicians sometimes have the most difficult job in the world, but I can only imagine how amazing it would be to be a part of saving a baby’s life. I had a coworker once whose baby was born at 36 weeks, and her baby had a lot of heart and lung problems. There were concerns about whether or not they would ever fully develop once she had him, but after many months in the NICU, and many scares that happened during it, the doctors were able to save him and he is now a very healthy 5 year old. It is because of that I have a higher interest in the neonatologist field.I hate to say which type of physician I would care less to work for, and it is because I worry that many will take it the wrong way. When I was 16, I used to help my mom at an assisted living home as a caregiver. We would get to work at 7:00 A.M. every morning to prepare breakfast for four of the elderly men and women that we were caring for. We would then make sure that all bedding was changed, rooms were cleaned, meals were prepared, and appointments were handled. We worked 12 hour days, and they were always grueling. The owner of the home made sure that everyone had their medicine and made it to their doctor appointments on time. However, she was more worried about getting paid for her services than actually helping the elderly. She would yell at them if they did something wrong, and even call them terrible names. My mom reported her and we both quit our job, but it has always left a sting in my heart since then. It is because of my experience with that situation that I do not think I could ever work for a gerontologist. I know that the situations would be much different, but ever since my experience with caring for elderly individuals it is very hard for me to think about assisting a physician in geriatrics because I worry that someone else might treat the elderly in the same way the owner of the home did. I am a firm believer that the elderly deserve the ultimate care and comfort when going through any treatment and aging in general, but I do not think I could ever work in that environment again.

3. Kristen Miller says

Love, love, love this idea. Going to add it to my apps right now. Thanks so much for sharing : ) Kristen

4. growingkidstherapy says

Fabulous! What a brilliant language activity! Motivating and fun! Pinned this on my Pinterest page! Keep up the great work! You are a wealth of great ideas!

5. Brea says

This is awesome! I think this would be a hit with my preschoolers. Thanks!

-Brea

6. Mommy Square says

Bravo!!! My little man loves Spiderman! This app and the ideas to use in speech are AMAZING! Thanks so much. Will definitely be sharing.